Tuesday 29 January 2013

Healthy cake? Surely not!

Cake. I'm not ashamed to say it, I love the stuff. But let's face it, it's hardly sin free.

I have a diabetic partner and am also generally making healthier choices so I am always on the look out for yummy low-sugar recipes that can satisfy those sweet and stodgy cravings without the nasty side effects!

The recipe I tried today was taken from the brilliant Diabetes UK website, although as with most recipes, I have adapted it a little! Here's my version...

Apple and Cinnamon Cake

100g wholemeal plain flour
8g baking powder
1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
2 tbsps Splenda (my favourite sugar alternative)
75g light butter (I use Countrylife lighter as I refuse to use marg or spread!) - melted
3 eggs
3 tbsps milk

1 kg apples (any type) - sliced or cubed

Now, this might sound obvious, but it really does pay to do a TV cookery show kind of thing and get everything weighed out and ready to go. This makes for a much more relaxed experience in my opinion! If you don't want to give yourself any extra washing up, just use paper cups and/or bun papers to put ingredients into.

OK, so this is really really simple. Add all your dry ingredients to a mixing bowl (flour, Splenda, baking powder and cinnamon) and mix together. Then make a well in the middle (love doing this, no idea why) and into that well crack the 3 eggs and the 3 tsps of milk. Then whisk (I used an electric whisk) but just do this until it's all binded, don't overdo it. Now add the melted butter, a little at a time, whilst still whisking.

Then throw your apples in and mix thoroughly. That's it - simple! Add to a greased cake tin (or loaf tin if you fancy) and pop it into a preheated oven at 200°C for 35 mins. Bosh.

The usual cooling on wire rack should follow this of course...

So, the verdict? Well, I did take a picture on my phone but it's rubbish (darn you Blackberry). Here it is none the less...


Personally I think the cake is delicious, FULL of apples and not really a sweet flavour so not sickly. If you are a hardcore cake fan you might find this just isn't sweet enough for you but I would really recommend giving it a whirl.

The original recipe calls for "thick slices" of apple and I opted for chunks. I hadn't thought ahead with this and now even though the chunks are cooked through nicely, the structure I have created does not lend itself to neat slicing! Therefore I have amended this and suggested thin slices or small cubes. Just a small point worth mentioning.

So far, the other half and number one son have tried a little bit and given it the thumbs up, so I will definitely be baking it again.

If you like the sound of it, give it a go and let me know what you think. I am also thinking of adding raisins next time for an extra dimension...

Oooh, before I go, if you have any low sugar recipes that you love, please share them with me!

Until next time,
Emma
x

No comments:

Post a Comment